I Guess You Had To Be There: An Installation Art Exhibition
March 1- April 27
Opening Reception: March 1, 5:30-8:00 p.m.
AVA presents an opportunity for artists who create installation art to exhibit in our main gallery. Installation art uses interesting and sometimes unconventional materials to transform the perception of a space and create an experience for the viewer. It blurs the lines between art and life, and it makes us stop and notice our surroundings. This exhibit is juried by AVA’s Exhibition Advisory Panel, which consists of professional artists, curators, and art educators.
For this show, artists may submit already completed works, but they may also submit a proposal for work that would be site specific to the AVA gallery.
To see the gallery space and it’s dimensions, please visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarts/sets/72157632489474622/with/8368193528/
For more information about I Guess You Had To Be There, or other AVA programs, please visit avarts.org or contact Lauren Goforth, Education and Exhibitions Director, at 423-265-4282 ext. 105, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic Submission Deadline: February 11, 5:00pm
Notifications Sent: February 15
Work Delivered to AVA by: February 26
Opening Reception: March 1
Exhibit Ends: April 27
Pick-up Work: April 27
1. All application materials must be submitted electronically to Lauren Goforth at email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on February 11 for consideration.
2. Any artist creating installation art in any medium including painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, print media, ceramics, fiber arts, graphic arts, and time-based works are encouraged to apply
3. Displays artistic promise and commitment to their work.
4. Must have a current body of work, comprised of 1-3 works, which the artist is able to show at the time of application.
Limitation & Restrictions
1. All work must be original and completed within the last 2 years.
2. Works must not have been previously exhibited at AVA.
3. AVA reserves the right to reject works that are misrepresented in the application process or are not properly outfitted to hang in the gallery.
4. All 2-D works must be ready to hang.
5. Time-based artists may have to provide their own equipment to show work.
6. AVA handles all sales transactions and receives a 30% commission from all gallery sales.
7. All shipping or hand delivery and return of work for exhibition is the responsibility of the artist.
Entry is free for AVA members. There is an entry fee of $25 for non-members. You may pay by credit card, check, or money order. To become an AVA member, visit http://www.avarts.org/join-ava-today/
1. Resume (in PDF format)
2. Brief artist’s statement that is relevant to the work submitted (in PDF format)
3. One to three digital images of recent works. If necessary, please include extra detail shots of work submitted. Each image must be:
* Saved in jpeg format
* Set color to RGB
* Image size should not exceed horizontal pixel dimension of 1920 pixels or vertical pixel dimension of 1080 pixels
* Saved as artist’s last name and image’s title. Example: DOE_UNTITLED.jpg
4. Applicants may also submit a proposal for work that would be site specific to the AVA gallery. For this option, applicants must still include images of recent work, but also include a detailed description of the proposed artwork.
5. Complete list of images (in PDF format). For each image, include:
6. Application fee, if a non-member
Send materials to:
Lauren Goforth, Education and Exhibitions Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitting your application indicates that you have read and understand all guidelines and criterion contained within this prospectus. To the best of your knowledge, you are eligible to be considered for I Guess You Had To Be There. Your application contains your work and the information in your resume is complete and true. You understand that if accepted, it will be your responsibility to deliver your work to the AVA Gallery ready for hanging and on time, concurrent with any schedules given to you upon acceptance. If accepted, the work presented with this application is the work that will be installed in the exhibit. The artist is also aware that AVA does not insure or agree to be responsible for any theft, damage, or loss of any article. The artist Agrees to accept any and all loss, theft, or damage resulting directly or indirectly from exhibitor’s participation in these activities.
No person will be excluded from participation in or otherwise subjected to discrimination in regards to services, programs and employment, provided by the Association for Visual Arts based on color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or religion.