ArtSpan invites you to enter Selections 2013
A juried exhibition of work by ArtSpan Member Artists
May 17 – May 20, 2012 at ArtPad SF located at the historic Phoenix Hotel in San Francisco
ArtSpan member artists are invited to submit a portfolio of artwork for consideration to be exhibited at ArtPadSF during the Art Fair Week in San Francisco, May 16-19, 2013. The Selections 2013 exhibition elevates artists from the San Francisco Open Studios circle and into a more visible place of honor. Because success as a professional artist relies on opportunities to be recognized as exceptional, ArtSpan produces the exhibition as a vehicle to launch emerging artists’ careers as well as nurture established artists by presenting their work to a distinguished panel of art professionals.
This year, artists will be juried by notable Bay Area collectors and curators who will select work from up to five artists to be displayed at this prestigious San Francisco event:
Marjory Graue: Collector; President, Graue Family Foundation; Member, Artadia Board of Directors
Kathy Meadowcroft: Collector; Member, Artadia Board of Directors
Katie Hood Morgan: Independent Curator; Exhibitions Manager, SFAI
Marianna Stark: Collector; Board Member, Berkeley Art Center; ArtSpan Audience Development Chair
ArtPadSF at the iconic Phoenix Hotel is a provocative 21st century boutique art fair that focuses on emerging and contemporary art from the Bay Area and beyond. Partnered with San Francisco’s world-renowned arts institutions, galleries, and artists, ArtPadSF is a crossroads for the creative and an unparalleled marketplace for art. The 2013 opening night preview on May 16th, benefits the SFMOMA SECA program (Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art) with an evening of public programs by renowned SFMOMA associate curator, Frank Smigiel.
Online Application Form Deadline: March 4, 2013, 11:59 pm PST
Online Portfolio Complete on ArtSpan.org: March 25, 2013
Application Review: April 2, 2013
Artists notified: April 4, 2013
Studio visits with selected artists: April 26-29, 2013
Installation of selected works: May 14-15, 2013
Opening night reception at ArtPadSF: May 16, 2013
Exhibition closes: May 19, 2013
• Open to all 2012 SF Open Studios artists and 2012/2013 Basic Artist Members working in all media.
• If you are not a current ArtSpan artist member, see HOW TO APPLY to find out how to join so you can submit your artwork to Selections 2013.
• Open only to artists with studios in San Francisco and Bay Area.
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA:
Artist portfolios will be reviewed by a panel of notable Bay Area art collectors who all share a love of Bay Area art and artists. We seek applications from artists working in all media that complement ArtPadSF’s commitment to contemporary art.
The criteria by which we will be considering each proposal are as follows:
• High level of artistic maturity
• Distinct point of view
• Compelling statement of purpose / artist statement
SELECTION OF ARTWORK:
Once selected, artists must be available for a studio visit during the week of April 26-28th. Artwork will be chosen from available work and must be ready to hang on Tuesday, May 14th. Artwork must be for sale and available through the close of the exhibition on Sunday, May 19th. ArtSpan will consign the selected artworks and retain a 40% commission on sales. Artists who have gallery representation must obtain permission from said gallery for ArtSpan to display and sell artwork at ArtPadSF. ArtSpan will insure all works up to $60,000 and pay applicable sales tax for all sales.
HOW TO APPLY:
• Visit http://guide.artspan.org/selections.html
• You must be a current ArtSpan member to apply.
• Complete the entry form at the above link by March 4, 2013.
• Upload artwork images and add your artist statement directly to your artist profile on ArtSpan.org. Login Instructions will be available on the following confirmation page, after you submit the entry form below.
• Your portfolio of artwork and artist statement will be viewed by the jurors directly from your profile on www.artspan.org.
• If you are not a current ArtSpan artist member, you can become a Basic Artist Member ($30) online: http://artspanmembership.eventbrite.com/
If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact us by email at selections(at)artspan.org.
ArtSpan, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, builds community by connecting the public to visual arts in San Francisco. Through SF Open Studios, youth and adult education, and art-centric events, ArtSpan creates a platform for artists to thrive, fostering a Bay Area that values the arts.