The Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute (LACSI)
The University of Georgia
Artists are invited to submit entries to Reflections of the Latin American Natural Environment, a national juried exhibition of contemporary art.
The focus of this exhibition is on current painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography that help the general public develop an appreciation and knowledge of Latin America’s wealth of biological diversity and its endless variety of land, water, and cultural resources.
WHERE: Accepted works will be on display at the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute, 290 South Hull Street, Athens, GA from Monday, April 22, to Monday, May 22, 2013. Select pieces may also be on display at the Institute’s Latin American Ethnobotanical Garden.
WHEN: Accepted works will be on display from Monday, April 22 to Monday, May 22, 2013, Athens, GA.
A reception for the artists will be held at the LACSI Ethnobotanical Garden, April, 26, 2013.
Deadline for Submissions: March 15, 2013.
WHO: All artists are invited to apply. LACSI is seeking art in the medium of painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography.
WHY: Money raised at this event will contribute to LACSI's support of international student exchanges, study abroad programs, and other activities critical to the institute's mission.
This event will be highly publicized by LACSI and is expected to garner local and national media attention.
All artwork must be for sale. If an artwork is sold, the artist will receive 70% and a 30% donation will be made to LACSI.
Online Submission Guidelines – Please, no submissions by mail.
· Email photos of up to jpeg 5 images (no more than 5mb file size (1280 x 960 pixels) to: firstname.lastname@example.org words “LACSI Art Competition” in the subject heading.
· Submission fee is a $15 tax deductible donation for up to 5 images. Please make the donation to the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute, link: https://www.externalaffairs.uga.edu/os/makegift?foundation=2&unit=3&department=512&account=666&amount=50&otheramount=50&sp=&appeal=
· Please make the gift amount in the “other” category and submit $15. Type “LACSI Art Show” in the Special Instructions.
· After you have made your donation, please include the donation reference number in the email with your jpeg images, next to your name and contact information.
· For each JPEG digital image, include: title, dimensions: height and width, medium, and price. Also include a short description (no longer than 100 words) of how the selected artwork refers to the show theme.
· Include artist’s first and last name, biography, résumé, and artist statement. This information may be used in promotional material.
· Artists are responsible for delivery and pick up of their work.
· Artwork must not be larger than 50” x 50.”
· Artwork must be suitable for hanging. Install instructions must accompany sculpture.
· All Artwork must be for sale. If an art work is sold, the artist will receive 70% and a 30% donation will be made to LACSI.
· Artists will be contacted by March 25, 2013 along with a contract that must be signed and returned to LACSI by April 2, 2013.
· Artwork must be delivered to LACSI by April 16, 2013.
· Artwork to be showcased April 22 to May 22, 2013.
· A reception for the artists will be held at the LACSI Ethnobotanical Garden, April, 26, 2013.
· Pickup of artwork May 23 – May 26, 2013.
· When the artist receives confirmation that they have been selected for participation, a formal contract signed by the artist must be returned by April 2, 2013.
· All artwork must be received at the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute by April 16, 2013.
· All artwork must be framed and ready to hang. Install instructions must accompany sculpture.
· Artists are responsible for transportation of artwork to and from LACSI, 290 South Hull Street, Athens, GA 30602-6778. Artwork to be delivered between 11am and 5pm, Monday thru Friday.
· All artwork must be for sale. If an artwork is sold, the artist will receive 70% and a 30% donation will be made to LACSI.
· LACSI will make every reasonable effort to ensure that artwork is treated well and taken care of. However, if something unforeseen should happen to the artwork, LACSI will not be liable for damages.
· Pickup of Artwork May 23 – May 26, 2013, between 11am and 5pm. If artwork is not claimed by May 26, 2013, a $5 per day storage fee will be charged to the artist. After 30 days, the painting will be donated to the LACSI art collection and will become the property of LACSI.
The Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute (LACSI) at the University of Georgia, brings Latin America and the Caribbean to the UGA campus by sponsoring educational activities, artistic performances, interdisciplinary research, teaching, and public service projects, in coordination with Latin Americanists from UGA, other universities, the community at large, and abroad.
For more information, please see: http://www.lacsi.uga.edu/