CALL FOR VISUAL ARTISTS
The French Cultural Center in Boston is currently accepting proposals from Francophone and Francophile visual artists for our 2013 – 2014 month long exhibitions to be installed in our first floor gallery in our historic Back Bay mansion.
Link to a Francophone or French culture
The French Cultural Center accepts proposals for individual and small group exhibitions. We require exhibitions to have an articulate central idea linked to a Francophone culture or French culture, convincingly presented by the works shown in the proposal.
This idea must be expressed in a brief artist’s statement.
The show can include works in a single medium or several mediums, including painting, drawing, and photography.
All artists are eligible but please keep in mind that the French Cultural Center does not pay for travel expenses or shipment of art works.
French Cultural Center Support:
For each exhibition, the French Cultural Center provides:
• Its unusual and elegant gallery 513 sq. ft. with 46 ft. of linear wall spaces with professional lighting and hanging system.
• Help for set-up and take down of the work as well as the printing of professional labels
- 200 hundred postcards sent to a targeted mailing list
- Promotion of the exhibition in our e-newsletter sent to more than 9,500 people
- A page on our website dedicated to the exhibition.
- Events in the Gallery during the show to give people occasion to discover the works in a warm atmosphere.
• Complimentary French wine for the opening reception
The Artist(s) has to provide
• A $500 contribution to help support the French Cultural Center cultural programs. No exceptions
• 500 postcards which will be mailed by the French Cultural Center and displayed in the reception hall during the show.
• Transportation of the works.
• Hors d’oeuvres for the opening reception, any finger-food the artist would like to serve.
-An artist statement describing your project and its link to a Francophone culture.
-An artist resume for each artist included in the proposal
-An image list that must include for each work:
- Artist’s name
- Image Number
- Title of the work
- Date of the work
- Medium used
- Dimensions of the works
-10 images by artist:
- Labeled 01, 02, 03, etc The numbers must correlate exactly with the image list.
This must be submitted electronically or on a CD, in JPEG format and should be 300dpi. Submissions including links to websites or printouts will not be accepted.
Please note that the images will be projected during the submission review meeting and will not be viewed close up from a computer screen. The image quality is important.
Review of Applications
Applications are reviewed by a committee of art professionals
The French Cultural Center's decision to award an exhibition opportunity to a particular proposal will be based on:
• Quality of the work to be shown.
Note - though submission of artists' resumes is required, artists who do not have substantial exhibition records will be considered.
• Clarity of the French or Francophone link
We require exhibitions to have an articulate central idea, convincingly presented by the works shown.
We will not consider any incomplete application
Please refer to the submission requirements above
Please note: If your proposal is chosen for exhibition, we will take a 30% commission on art sales (as opposed to 50% or more in most commercial galleries).
By applying to this Call, you accept the conditions listed above, including the $500 fee required as a support of French Cultural Center cultural programs. The first half of the fee will have to be paid no later than one month after the notification of your selection.
Deadline for submission: April 30, 2013
Please send all submissions to: email@example.com