CALL FOR ARTISTS - The River
The omnipotence, mystery and beauty of that natural stream of water, defined as “the river,” has inspired artists throughout the ages. An ancient living entity, the river changes from a shallow, fast moving gush of water upstream, massively expanding and deepening into a slow, silty, majestic flow downstream, attracting a rich variety of insects, plants, fish, birds, animals, and of course, people.
Located here, in Bound Brook, is the river known as the Raritan, an Algonquian name with several meanings, the most infamous being, “stream that overflows.” For many years it served as a major industrial and agricultural transportation route, and in 1834, with the completion of the Delaware and Raritan Canal, it became an important link between New York and Philadelphia. Many companies cropped up in close proximity to the river, building dams which effected the river flow, and basically used it as a dump for their waste products, some of which included PCB’s, arsenic, lead and radiological waste. The most notorious of these was Calco Chemical Company, (later American Cyanamid) but there are others. In fact, according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Superfund Site list, there are “over 200 contaminated sites which are adjacent to or drain into the lower Raritan river.” Most recently, the river is being polluted from the impact of overdevelopment, pesticides, suburban waste and toxic fertilizers.
Although the Raritan is unique, it’s story is not. Rivers all over the world are endangered, where life no longer flourishes and much has been taken away. For this exhibition, we’re asking artists to submit work that focuses on the subject of rivers, and any circumstances relating to them.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas.
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. *Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
Fees There is no entry fee to enter exhibit. Accepted artists pay a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Insurance Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. We are not responsible for artwork while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
*(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P.O. Box 710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Important dates to remember:
Deadline for exhibit - May 8th 2014
Notification of acceptance by email - week of May 15th, 2014
Delivery Dates - Thurs. June 5th, 12 to 5 pm,
Fri. June 6th 5 to 8 pm, and Sat. June 7th. 12 to 5 pm.
Opening Reception - Sunday, June 15th 2014 2 to 6 pm
Pick up dates - Thurs. July 24th 12 to 5 pm, Fri. July 25th 5 to 8 pm, Sat. July 26th 12 to 5 pm.