Einstein said, “Time is relative”, meaning that as the sun, the moon and the planets of our solar system naturally move forward, so does time. As a result of the earth’s rotation, or the speed of the ground beneath our feet, and according to your specific whereabouts on the planet, time is slightly different for each one of us. This phenomenon applies to mechanical devices as well as to our own inborn internal “clocks.” In fact, there are several atomic clocks located throughout the world that measure Cesium atomic energetic conditions, which can calculate the accuracy of time right down to the millisecond. All of our cellphones, computers, Mickey Mouse and Rolex watches and coo-coo clocks are linked to these super time pieces.
As earth’s population grows and our lives become more and more complicated and demanding, we find ourselves no longer in tune with our inherent clocks, disconnected with nature and moving faster and faster in a race with time.
For this juried exhibition we’re asking artists to submit work in any media that relates to the subject of time, such as the beginning, middle and end, to good and bad times, to time clocks, time out, and time machines, to back then and to the here and now, for which Carl Sagan once said, “That we’ll never come again, is what makes life so sweet.”
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas.
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. *Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
Fees There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Insurance Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. We are not responsible for artwork while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
*(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P.O. Box 710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline - Wednesday September 2nd, 2015
Notification of accptance by email - - Wednesday Sep. 9th, 2015.
Delivery Dates - Thurs., Oct. 1st. 12 to 5 pm, Fri. Oct 2nd 5 to 8 pm,
and Saturday Oct. 3rd, 12 to 5 pm.
Opening Reception - Sunday Oct 11th, 2015 2 to 6 pm.
Pick up dates - Thursday Nov 19th 12 to 5 pm,
Fri. Nov. 20th, 5 to 8 pm and Sat. Nov 21st., 12 to 5 pm.